Why adopt?
It's not because I like paperwork.
Or dropping a couple grand here and there.
I'm not an international traveler, that's for sure.
So why would one adopt?
Here's a list I'll be adding to as we go along. It's not in any order. And each reason doesn't necessarily stand alone. The reasons are complex, intertwined. Some need more explanation than a list can properly relate. But here it is, in all it's haphazardness:
1. What I really believe is affecting the way I live.
2. I want my heart to mirror God's.
3. The bible is my playbook.
4. This life isn't really my own.
5. The money we have isn't really ours.
6. Obedience
7. To glorify God!
8. God thinks I can do it. Who am I to question the Lord of the Universe?
9. Because we can. Because we have enough. Enough love, enough room, enough health insurance, enough food, enough resources.
10. God has blessed us so we can be a blessing to others.
11. James 1:27
12. 147 million. 147 million! I can't even comprehend that number.
But I can start with one.
13. If not us, then who? Who will go? What is the fate of these orphans if we don't go?
14. If all this money and all this planning and all this paperwork relieves the suffering of one orphan for even a short time, then it will all be worth it.
15. If all this money and all this planning and all this paperwork is what God wants, then I will do it and it will all be worth it.
16. To bring more joy to our already joyful family.
17. Every child deserves to have parents who desperately want them.
18. I desperately want her.
So what about Eastern Europe? Why there?
That, I can tell you for sure, was not our choice! We were led to Eastern Europe in a round about way. It certainly wasn't our starting point. We fell in love with Kathryn, and that's just where she lives.
My question in return would be, why NOT Eastern Europe? God doesn't expect us to only love and help those within the man-made boundaries of our country. God looks down on a world of hurting and lost children. He doesn't say "Americans only help Americans". Nor does He say "Americans only help Eastern Europeans". He simply sees a sea of need and He calls those who can, to help. I, for one, am certainly glad God didn't confine salvation to one nation. I'm glad Jesus instructed the apostles to go and make disciples of all nations. When one child is spared a life of poverty, a future of hopelessness and despair, does it really matter where they came from?
Do I think everyone should adopt?
No. (But I also think you might ask Him. You might be surprised!) I do think everyone is called to love their neighbor. This will look different for everyone. Some will pray, some will give money, some will give time, some will go. Some may do just one, and some may do all. I am not perfect. I am sinful, broken, doubting, human. The only thing I can boast about is Christ's power within me. The rest of me is rotting weakness.
This journey was not my idea. I have trouble explaining it. These thoughts are not my thoughts. These ideas are not my ideas. The only way I can understand it is that God has infused my heart with His love for orphans. And then he subsequently equips me for each step. I am obeying in love and in fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment