I'm not a very good swimmer. I mean, I can swim, but it's more of an awkward, sputtering, splashing event. I think I fall into the category of 'dog paddler'.
Not a big fan of immersing my whole body in frigid water. I don't like to get my hair wet. Holding my breath? Mm, I can do without.
If I do get in the pool, it takes me For.Ever. I like a nice, slow, gradual descent. You know, up to my waist is good.
My forte lies in enjoying a nice glass of lemonade while dipping my feet in the shallow end. And I'm pretty good at sitting on the step, too.
So how is it that I find myself in the deep end all of a sudden?
Well, I guess I just kinda jumped in. At least I got to hold my husband's hand when we jumped. And it really wasn't "all of a sudden". God was planting seeds all along the way. In both of us! Separately! (goosebumpy, eh!)
When God called, we said "alrighty then!" (But not after first saying "uh...are you sure? Uh...hhhhhehhh....hmmmm..." and other weird noises).
I've come to realize that God doesn't always call the olympic freestylers; the butterfly record-holders. In fact, more often, He calls the dog paddlers. In 2 Corinthians 12:9, God tells Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
A stutterer. A tax collector. The dog paddlers of this world. Weaklings. The glory of God is best shown through them. Why?
Why does God put His treasure in clay pots (2 Corinthians 4:7) that are breakable? Why not put treasure in a strong, sturdy container? Or at least something pretty like fine china? Or an armored safe, for crying out loud?
"to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us". So that He alone gets the glory. Whatever strength or miraculous beauty transpires, it is not because of me or any human. God alone!
I'm sure this clay pot will break along this journey. I'll leak. (That does happen a time or two after a sneeze. Or laughing too hard. Two pregnancies, people. It's a hazard that goes with the territory. Enough said). (Black pants sure are forgiving, though. I will say that). I'll crack. I'll crumble. Goodness, if you throw this clay pot in the deep end with all my cracks, I'll probably start to sink. But I won't be abandoned, nor destroyed. (v10) And I'll wait for His renewal day by day and fix my eyes on what is unseen. (v16-18)
While it's scary splashing around here in 10 feet of water, it's also kind of fun! Where will God lead? I love Him so much, I just want to find out.
1 comment:
Ohh my goodness Linda! I'm laughing so hard right now, which- as you so cleverly illustrated- is a dangerous thing! I love these blog posts, how have I not seen your blog before now?!
Post a Comment